Friday, April 3, 2015

Memorizing "The Family: A Proclamation to the World"

This past Sunday was Ward Conference and for Sunday School the Stake Presidency held a combined meeting and we focused on scriptures. One of the counselors was talking to us about how the scriptures should be looked at as our friend. The discussion was about our friend and which scripture ("friend") is meaningful to us. I didn't get a chance to share but my "friend" is the hymnbook which I turn to as frequently, actually more so, than I do the other scriptures.

So when reviewing this weeks portion of the proclamation I turned to my friend and as I was reading the words, and humming in my mind the tune, I felt this is what God wants us to know and focus on as it pertains to our families. Hymn #298 Home Can Be a Heaven on Earth. We are here on earth and in our family units and we need to always remember how important that unit is to our Heavenly Father and our Brother Jesus Christ.

Home can be a heav'n on earth When we are filled with love,
Bringing happiness and joy, Rich blessings from above--
Warmth and kindness, charity, Safety and security--
Making home a part of heaven, Where we want to be.

Drawing family near each week, We'll keep love burning bright.
Serving Him with cheerful hearts, We'll grow in truth and light.
Parents teach and lead the way, Children honor and obey,
Reaching for our home in heaven, Where we want to stay.

Praying daily in our home, We'll feel His love divine;
Searching scriptures faithfully, We';; nourish heart and mind.
Singing hymns of thanks, we'll say, "Father, help us find the way
Leading to our home in heaven, Where we long to stay."

Ephesians 6:1-4
Mosiah 4:13-15


The scripture verses should be read as well. There is a lot of insight in this simple hymn that shares our Fathers desire for all of us as we will ALWAYS be in family units! I have so loved learning more about this beautiful proclamation. I want to spend more time really studying this, which I know will allow me to look back on all I've done through this course! It's been a true blessing for me to constantly remind myself of the importance of each member of my family. When I get frustrated or upset because of something they do or say, I am trying harder to stop before reacting, and think about how much the Lord loves us and wants us to be more loving towards others, especially our families!

No comments:

Post a Comment