Thursday, March 26, 2015

The 1970s

Elder M. Russell Ballard said, "When evil wants to strike out and disrupt the essence of God's work, it attacks the family. It does so by attempting to disregard the law of chastity, to confuse gender, to desensitize violence, to make crude and blasphemous language the norm, and to make immoral and deviant behavior seem like the rule rather than the exception."

This made me think of my life and the things I turn to for entertainment, when I have the time of course! :-) I like to watch old movies and television shows because of their goodness. Unlike today when writers think that adding all this JUNK makes for good tv, back in the 60s and 70s it really was good. Sure not all the programing was but more often than not, it was, today is just the opposite!

Just take a minute and think about the things going on around 45 years ago or so. What was really on television and what were the movies. Well I remember all the great family Disney movies. Herbie for one. And That Darn Cat for another. Even The Shaggy Dog. All of these movies have remakes now but it's the ORIGINALS that were class acts!!! There were no swear words uttered. There was not innuendos hanging. Sure there may have been love interests but not as you think of it today. Then there were The Apple Dumpling Gang or Hot Lead and Cold Feet. Okay here are a list of Disney movies from the 70s that I remember and have seen, many were seen at the drive-in with my parents and siblings! (Who remembers the drive-in....family movies? I loved that and have many fond memories of those days.

Herbie Rides Again
Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo
The North Avenue Irregulars
Pete's Dragon
The Saggy D.A.
Bedknobs and Broomsticks
Now You See Him, Now You Don't
Escape to Witch Mountain
Return to Witch Mountain
No Deposit, No Return
The Cat From Outerspace
The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again

Then there were the TV shows of the 1970s too!

Sesame Street
Gunsmoke
Little House on the Prairie
The Andy Griffith Show
The Brady Bunch
Bonanza
I Dream of Jeannie
The Beverly Hillbillies
Gilligan's Island
The Waltons
Family Affair
The Six Million Dollar Man
Emergency
My Three Sons
The Mary Tyler Moore Show
The Carol Burnett Show

I could go on and on. But these are some of the things that shaped who I am and I'm glad. These movies and television programs were things that we could feel comfortable about watching with anyone. I loved this time. If there is something in this list that you haven't seen, you really should. If your kids are "normal" and not too techy I know they'd LOVE to watch some of these, WITH YOU!! The key is with you! Have some family time.


No comments:

Post a Comment