Sunday, March 1, 2015

Family and Society

Why is it that when there is a decline in the family there is an even bigger decline within society? Isn't that curious at all to people? Does it even mean anything or is it just something I made up in my own mind? These are some questions to ask yourself and express your opinion and thoughts on.

I find it rather amazing as I look back on the past 47+ years and how things have changed in the world. I realize that a lot of the changes were small in the beginning but became HUGE over time. It's been so gradual that most people didn't even recognize it, otherwise if they had it may not have happened.

In the readings and podcasts for this weeks' class there was a quote from clear back in 1980 that is just as relevant today as it was then. It amazes me to see how our prophets were preparing us 35 years ago for how bad it is today.

President Spencer W. Kimball said, "Many of the social restraints which in the past have helped to reinforce and to share up the family are dissolving and disappearing. The time will come when only those who believe deeply and actively in the family will be able to preserve their families in the midst of the gathering evil around us.

"...There are those who would define the family in such a nontraditional way that they would define it out of existence...We of all people, brothers and sisters, should not be taken in by the specious arguments that the family unit is some how tied to a particular phase of development a mortal society is going through. We are free to resist those moves which downplay the significance of the family and which play up the significance of selfish individualism. We know the family to be eternal. We know that when things go wrong in the family, things go wrong in every other institution in society."

The last sentence is the big one. Where are you today? How do you view the world and your family? Are you on the same page as the world or are you on the same page with God? Are they different pages? In what way can you remain strong and steadfast to the things you know are right and good?

These are all personal questions I have asked myself. I am not as strong as I want to be but if I remind myself of these things I can stay the course. I want to always be on God's side but I can't just say that or think it will happen just because I want it to. It takes effort on my part. God has given me the guidelines and tools to stay on His side now I have to make the right choices and be firm in my convictions and help others along the way and I will stay on course! With His help and by surrounding myself with others who know and believe as I do we can all stay the course!

No comments:

Post a Comment