Saturday, February 14, 2015

God's View on Marriage!

Readings:
Elder David A. Bednar, Honorably Hold a Name and a Standing (Ensign, May 2009)
Elder Bruce R. McConkie, Celestial Marriage (New Era, June 1978)
Elder Bruce C. Hafen, Covenant Marriage, General Conference, October 1996)

         The thing that hit me most after going through the readings is how similar each was yet they were each from different eras. They weren't just a few years apart either, they were literally different eras and generations. It's rather interesting to see how over the years things like this are repeated for our benefit and the benefit of a new generation who may not have heard these things a million times yet. 

Elder Hafen said that, "Marriage is by nature a covenant, not just a private contract one may cancel at will." I love this because in the world we live in so many people don't see it this way. They think they can try one person out for a while as if they were married  but not legally doing so that way if they don't like it in a few months or even years they can walk away as if it had never happened, and move on to someone else. But I know marriage is a sacred covenant that is to be protected and strengthened. Sure there are times when I get frustrated and maybe even wonder what it would be like to not be married but then I think of all the years we have been and our beautiful son whom we both love completely and realize I can do this with the Lords help and by talking to the man I love and married! We are in this together and with the Lords help it always works out.

I also loved Elder Hafen's analogy of the three wolves: natural adversity, own imperfections, and excessive individualism. My favorite line of his: "When we observe the covenants we make at the alter of sacrifice, we discover hidden reservoirs of strength." 


Elder Bednar's statement: "We as faithful Saints have been strengthened by adversity and are the recipients of the Lord's tender mercies." This struck me because of the truthfulness in it. I don't always see my trials as blessings but they truly are when they are done and then throughout as I learn from them. But the blessing is knowing that God's hand was there every step of the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment